Thursday, November 1, 2007

To Dye or not to Dye

I found my first gray hair when I was about 23. I was going to BYU and living with some great girls who had been missionaries of my parents'. I almost died...and then I thought of...dye. And so I did...dye that is.

The thing is...at this point in my life, I really can't dye my hair. My husband is back in school working on his final degree (I think...maybe you can get additional doctorates, hummm...) and we have two kids. We have committed to my staying home with the kids as long as we can make it work. Making it work, means having to take out some loans and live off of the generosity of others and Dallin's very small salaries from BYU-Idaho (the university from which he is currently on leave) and ASU (where he has a small stipend for a teaching assistantship). With all of these very helpful sources of money...I still can only spend money on the basics. Unfortunately, I don't think my hair dye falls under the category of 'basics' or 'necessities'.

It's been 10 years since I found my first gray hair...I have a few more now. I'm not even close to being really gray. Most of the time, I make my husband look through my hair and pull out the gray ones. I've heard those old wives tales saying that if you pull one gray hair out...two more grow in it's place, but hey, it's one hair follicle so, how can that be true?

My hair is now in it's "natural" state. What I mean is...it is not chemically enhanced. I have to admit...I kind of like not having to color my hair. It's expensive, stinky and bad for the environment.

So...when I'm in a position where I can color my hair again...do I dye or not dye...I guess that is the question.

No comments: