Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Prayer & Tragedy

Tragedy - n. an event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe.



There have been a lot of tragedies unfolding all around lately.  The events in Japan are mind-boggling.  We don't have access to regular TV channels so my only way to see what has been going on has been on the internet.  I have found myself watching YouTube and news videos somewhere between awed and horrified.  It is hard to really understand and process what is happening there.  I don't know anyone in Japan.  My grandfather spent most of World War II in the Pacific on warships where the target was anything Japanese.  My grandparents went to Japan when they were in their early 70s - I think it may have been for my grandfather to come to peace with the war.  He left feeling a love for Japan, it's people, culture and heritage.  He told me about his experience, transmitting to me a love of God's Children everywhere.   My heart has been heavy thinking of what difficulties face the Japanese people. 

This morning I read a few blogs authored by people who have lost someone suddenly and tragically to accidents.  One was a mother, the other a wife.  My heart ached for them.

There are some things happening in my extended family right now that could definitely be described as tragic.  Things that some of my loved ones are experiencing that are causing great suffering and distress.  It hurts my heart.

In the face of all of these difficulties, I find myself wishing that I could do something.  My heart yearns to relieve some of the suffering and some of the pain.  In each circumstance, I am powerless to help.  (Yes, I can contribute something for the aid in Japan, but I cannot physically go there and help)  It seems the most I can do is pray.  Pray for peace, comfort, relief.  Pray for solutions, miracles and an easing of the way. 

And so I do.  And I thank the Lord that He is listening and loving.

2 comments:

Rach said...

It really is heart-wrenching to see what is going on in Japan. We can't even fathom what they are going through. Sincere prayers are needed everywhere. You're wonderful!

Richelle said...

I just, a few minutes ago finnished reading an article in the Jan Ensign called Carrying Others to the Pool of Bethesda. It just really goes along with what you just said in helping others through tragedies.