Friday, January 30, 2009

My Cheerleader

There's just something wonderful about a grandparent.

Most grandparents I know just enjoy their grandchildren. They love them unconditionally, they give treats and hugs freely, see the good and not the bad and just make life good for a child. I sort of thing of grandparents as great cheerleaders.

At least that's how all of my grandparents have been for me.

I was 25 before I "lost" a grandparent. When it did happen, it all seemed so surreal. How could I go over to Grandma and Grandpa's house and not see him there? How could we ever picnic in the backyard again without him at the grill? It just seemed that it would not be possible.

But life did go on...Grandma still lived at their home, picnics were still had - grill and all.

Another six years would pass before Grandma left and the house was sold, the picnics ended then. I couldn't really conceive of a world without my grandma. But...life went on.

Both of my dad's parents were gone then.

But...I still had my mom's parents to love, hug and enjoy. They were still there to cheer me on and tell me what a great mother I am (I'm so glad they think so), how cute my kids are, how much I am capable of...

Yesterday my mom's dad passed away. It's hard to think of a world without Grandpa. Yes..this time I know life will go on. But I will miss his hugs, his smiles, the way he absolutely delighted in everything my children did, they way he called me Wesley or Wes (as he has since I could remember) - always adding the aside that my grandma didn't want him to call me that (but I have always loved that nickname coming from him), the way he always told me that we could go and get our education and do what we needed to that way, but that once that was done we were only allowed to live somewhere between Ogden and Provo, the twinkle in his eyes, the completeness of his faith.

And so, though I have faith in where he is and will be and feel that he has been blessed to have been released from a physical body that caused him great pain, I will miss my dear grandpa - my cheerleader.

13 comments:

raybee... said...

Me too!!

sharon said...

Oh Man, Leslie. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa! I will be praying for you and your family.

RoeH said...

Yes...very hard to see them go. Even though we know what we know. I wish I could see my grandchildren more. It hurts that I will never be a part of their lives. But...

LunaMoonbeam said...

Leslie - I'm sorry.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you're grandpa is gone. I still haven't lost a grandparent and I'm worried about how I'll handle it when it happens.

Traci said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Leslie. Give your kids and hubby an extra hug from us.

Dan and Anne said...

Leslie, I am so sorry for your loss of a beloved grandfather. Even though you know life will go on, It is still hard. Our prayers are with your family.

Debbie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. My prayers will be with your family.

Debra said...

I am so sorry. I lost my grandparents many years ago and I still miss them to this day. May God comfort you at this difficult time. ...Debra

An Ordinary Mom said...

I'm sorry! I just lost my grandfather last October. I still think about him often. I am grateful to know where he is and I am grateful to have all my memories of him.

Kirbell said...

I'm glad you appreciated the time you had with your grandparents and realized what a difference they made in your life.

Amanda D said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but I love your perspective. Hugs to you!

stephanie said...

I'm sorry to hear about that. I have one grandparent left in his ninetys and I just gave him a quilt because he's all I have left!
One of my saddest losses was my husband's grandpa. We had really bonded--I still think of him a lot.