Tuesday, April 15, 2008

2 Questions For Your Consideration

Big Sis came home from preschool today with a bag over her head. Not to worry faithful readers...nothing was amiss. They had used good old brown grocery bags and decorated them to make "robot" hats. I thought it was a great idea.

I love the old..."reduce, reuse, recycle" thing. I do not consider myself an environmentalist - too many negative connotations, but I consider myself environmentally aware. I try to use cleaning products that are truly biodegradable, made from natural ingredients and do not employ the use of chemicals to do their work (don't get me wrong...you have to keep the chemicals because sometimes...it's the only thing that's going to work). I separate my trash into recyclables and non-recyclables - most weeks, my recycle barrel is more full than the trash barrel. I keep the lights off unless completely necessary. I take my own reusable bags to the grocery store. I use cotton cloths, instead of paper towels, to wash off Baby Boys face after meals. So...you get the picture. I'm not a fanatic, but I do try to do what I can to live in a more eco-friendly manner.

So...this brings me to Question #1 - How do you feel about environmental issues? What are your thoughts?

**********************************

Now for the next issue:

Big Sis told me a little story about her preschool teacher today. Here is the story in her words...

"One day when Miss H was at Sea World, a bird flew by and went splat and pooped all over her shoulder and she had to go home and take a bath."

To which I responded... "You know, Honey, when I was in Jr. High, I was walking down the street with some of my friends and a bird flew over my head and pooped right on my head."

To which she responded..."Did you have to go home and take a bath?" My answer, "Yes."

So...Question #2 is - Are Miss H and I the only people who have had a bird 'splat' on them? If not, please share your story so we can all be in the I've-been-bombed-by-a-bird club.

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

I wasn't pooped on, but my brother was --all over his scout uniform on our way to the bus stop. And we couldn't go home, because nobody was there (both my parents worked). It was hilarious!

I do the same things you do as far as environmentalism is concerned. Just doing the small things makes up for the big things. Like walking to church or a friend's house if they are near-by. Or using cloth bags at the grocery store (which I always forget to take in, darn it!). Using less water. Less electricity. Recycle more. And it sounds like you are doing a great job.

See, my philosophy is this: We are stewards of this earth. Those who refuse to recycle or reduce waste, to me, are pretty selfish. The Lord asked us to take care of the earth. But then again, He didn't ask us to go all crazy about it, either. The whole global warming thing may or may not be true (after this winter, I'm not sure what the *&#@ they are talking about), but isn't it just wisdom and logic to try to do our best? Exactly.

That is all. Sorry so long!

Richelle said...

We are pretty good at recycling, paper at least, and our plastic bags that we get way too much from the store. I really should get some bags to take to the grocery store. I actually have a credit for a free one from Kroger. I feel like they don't encourage it much. Especially Walmart. They are so bad at putting only 1 or 2 things in each bag. Arggg.
I don't think I've ever been pooped on by a bird before. My car has plenty of times!

Chelan said...

Okay,answer to first question. I'm all for recycling and being reasonable about the whole environmental thing BUT I do hold the opinion that the media is going CRAZY with this. It drives me nuts. I was talking about this with some people in our ward "playgroup" and we all kind of felt like there is this push to "worship the earth". Like it's some kind of religion! But that's just my opinion :-)
I think I have been pooped on before but it wasn't embarassing enough for me to remember the details. A birdie did just bomb my windshield today while I was driving on the freeway. Thank goodness for windshield washer fluid!

Leslie said...

Wow...I can't believe that Miss H and I are the only unfortunate people to have been "splatted" by a birdie...incredible! Maybe we should form a support group.

Also...thanks for your thoughts on the environment...your comments are all very valid and much appreciated. I liked your philosophy cheryl...it really fits with my thinking on this. And I also don't believe in earth 'worship' like chelan said - I agree right now the environment is a media buzz topic (which I actually think is kind of a good thing in some ways).

And oh...richelle...you might want to see if your supermarket gives you a rebate for bringing your own bags...most of the supermarkets close to me do...I get $.05 back for every bag of my own I bring...It's not much, but hey if I bring my 5 big bags every time I get $.25 back...over a year...that adds up. :)

Jeanette said...

I've never been splatted on by a bird but my brother was. On Prom night. He'd and his date had just come out of the restaurant when a bird flew by and let it go right on my brother. He came back to the house to get cleaned up which excited me because I got to see his pretty date in her pretty prom dress. And I got to make fun of him for getting splatted on while he was on a date! (I was 9 or 10 at the time.) What a great prom night memory!

Ice Cream said...

I had a bird poop on my shoe which, if you are going to get pooped on, is probably the best spot to have it land.

As for the environment... I'm a lazy and cheap person so I actually live very environmentally friendly just because it is easy and cheap.

Laurie said...

You must be extra special. I've never had a bird poop on me (thank goodness!) Funny though.