Monday, February 25, 2008

The Persistence (or not) of Memory

I don't understand why when I finally get a chance to sit down and write, I have a hard time coming up with something to say. So often during the day I think, "Oh, this would be a good thing to blog about." But by the time I get to sit down and write, I have forgotten what it was and am left to try to remember what I wanted to write.

Something happens to women when they are pregnant. I think it is well documented that there is a forgetfulness that clouds the minds of pregnant women everywhere. Most women seem to recover their ability to remember after the pregnancy is over. For me, my memory only seems to get worse.

I think there must be something for me that happens during that first six months when I can't eat and can hardly keep anything down that makes my memory loss permanent. Or maybe it is during labor...can you push so hard you actually damage or lose brain cells? Whatever it is...my short term memory sure ain't what it used to be.

I can really relate to Dori in Finding Nemo...what a minute, who is that anyway and what have I been talking about...hum...I just can't seem to remember.

3 comments:

Richelle said...

I think talking to small children with limited vocabulary all day turns our brains to mush as well. :)
I love Dori! She just makes that movie so great.

Cheryl said...

It's called "Mommy Brain" and I believe it begins at conception. :) But I agree with you that memory loss is something else we must all give up when we have children. ~sigh~

Anonymous said...

Hey, I wrote about this just a week or so ago!

http://summersnook.com/2008/02/11/mommy-brain/

I heard something about it being proven that you lose omega 3 (?) or something when you're pregnant.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!