Thursday, February 14, 2008

Muses on Cupid's Arrow

Once again Valentine's Day is here. I don't know why, but I have always loved this holiday. It's certainly not because I enjoy amazingly romantic Valentines. Honestly, my wonderful husband is usually very busy on this day. It may have something to do with the fact that he's a musician. Most years, he has had some kind of performance or rehersal on Valentine's. I don't think we've ever had a romantic date on Valentine's. Even so...I just really enjoy the holiday.

I guess it's because I have a lot of people to love.

I love my husband and kids, of course, but there's more. I love my parents, siblings and grandparents. I love my husband's parents, siblings and grandparents. I love wonderful friends and neighbors and feel so grateful for them. I love the children I am able to serve and work with in my primary calling (a church service). I love my Savior and Heavenly Father.

Growing up, my mom always left a Valentine on my bed for me to find when I got home from school (it was always something wonderful like a new book or movie AND lots of good candy). I try to do the same for my kids because it was so fun for me.

Through all my years of being single and never dating someone on Valentines, I still looked forward to celebrating the "Day of Love." I guess it's because my mom taught me that it's not about how much someone loves you. It's really about how you can show other people how much you love them.

No comments: